For New Yorkers, 2021 was a year of ups and downs, from the rollout of coronavirus vaccines and the gradual reopening of our beloved city to the return of mask mandates and canceled events. Throughout, though, 6sqft readers stayed informed on all things Covid, real estate news, and fun things to do, while celebrating the opening of new public green space, sky-high observation decks, and unique apartments for sale. Ahead, discover the most read 6sqft stories of 2021, from a first look at the offshore park Little Island to a listing for a condo in the real-life “Arconia” from Hulu’s Only Murders in the Building.
Photo of Little Island courtesy of Michael Grimm Photography
- NYC’s newest park Little Island finally opens on the Hudson River
- $70M plan to build Manhattan’s first public beach moves forward
- Affordable housing lottery opens for 79 units on the Upper West Side, from $456/month
- New affordable housing lottery launches at StuyTown, one-bedrooms from $1,200/month
- See the Mexican folk-art sculptures on display around Rockefeller Center for Day of the Dead
- Pre-register now for tickets to One Vanderbilt’s 1,000+ foot observation deck and glass skyboxes
▽ ▽ ▽
- NYC is offering low-income, first-time homebuyers $100K toward down payments
- New federal eviction ban covers renters in areas with high Covid rates, including New York
- These new Jersey City micro-apartments are addressing affordability through design
- The best places to live year-round in the Hamptons
- Why now is the right time to move to New York City
- Hudson Yards’ Vessel may close permanently after fourth suicide in two years
▽ ▽ ▽
Photos courtesy of Brown Harris Stevens
Cool listings and notable sales
- For $4.5M, live in NYC’s real-life Arconia condo seen on Hulu’s ‘Only Murders in the Building’
- After 20 years, Sarah Jessica Parker sells West Village townhouse for $15M
- See inside the $169M penthouse at 432 Park Avenue
- NYC’s famous skinny house hits the market for $5M in Greenwich Village
- Bette Midler sells palatial Upper East Side penthouse last listed for $50M
- Jeff Bezos buys fifth apartment at Flatiron building for $23M
▽ ▽ ▽
New York City guides
- NYC opening guide: Dates and details for events, museums, dining, travel, and more
- 11 spots to watch the 4th of July fireworks in NYC
- Where to see cherry blossoms in New York City
- The best websites for buying and selling used furniture in NYC
- The 10 best couches for apartments
- The 10 best plant shops in NYC
▽ ▽ ▽
- CityMD reinstates virtual one for Covid testing as virus cases in NYC continue to rise
- Free at-home Covid-19 testing now available for seniors and immunocompromised New Yorkers
- All the free stuff and discounts you can get in NYC if you’re vaccinated
- This website helps you find leftover vaccine doses
- NYC’s West Indian American Day, Mermaid Parades canceled over Covid
- NYC says unvaccinated young people are behind Staten Island’s uptick in Covid cases
▽ ▽ ▽
Oldies but goodies
- 20 underground and secret NYC attractions you need to check out
- Everything you need to know about using a guarantor in NYC
- 7 ways to soundproof a noisy apartment
- The 10 best plants for apartment dwellers
- The wild and dark history of the Empire State Building
- Health and high-rise living: Is higher healthier?
▽ ▽ ▽
SEE ALL PAST LISTS HERE:
- 6SQFT’S TOP STORIES OF 2020!
- 6SQFT’S TOP STORIES OF 2019!
- 6SQFT’S TOP STORIES OF 2018!
- 6SQFT’S TOP STORIES OF 2017!
- 6SQFT’S TOP STORIES OF 2016!
- 6sqft’s Most Read Stories of 2015!
- 6SQFT’S TOP STORIES OF 2014!