This year, 6sqft readers learned about the latest developments and infrastructure projects, discovered exciting public art exhibits, enjoyed new rooftop bars and restaurants, toured cool apartments, stayed up-to-date on real estate news, and uncovered something unique about New York City. Ahead, see a list of our most-read stories of 2022, from a proposed rail line between Brooklyn and Queens to a history of NYC water towers.
Rendering: Dbox / Foster + Partners
- 14-mile ‘Interborough Express’ route between Brooklyn and Queens moves forward
- Manhattan borough president calls for seizure of Russian oligarchs’ NYC properties
- JPMorgan’s 60-story Midtown East tower will be NYC’s largest all-electric skyscraper
- Lottery opens at Williamsburg’s 45-story rental One South First, from $1,550/month
- 750 spots open on waitlist for Mitchell-Lama Lower East Side co-ops, for sale from $19,677
▽ ▽ ▽
- The top rooftop hotel pools in NYC offering day passes
- 19 spots to watch the 2022 World Cup in NYC
- 8 best places in NYC to thrift for home goods
- New York’s 2022 fall foliage map has arrived
- An art lover’s guide to NYC: The best public art installations and museums in FiDi
▽ ▽ ▽
- What you should know about this year’s Caribbean Carnival in NYC
- 15 best places to celebrate Oktoberfest in NYC
- Where to order Thanksgiving takeout in New York City this year
- Macy’s Santaland: A 161-year-old tradition that brings holiday magic to NYC’s Herald Square
- Here are NYC’s best holiday markets and pop-up shops of 2022
▽ ▽ ▽
Photo courtesy of Greenpoint Terminal Market
- Paul McCartney sells Fifth Avenue apartment for $8.5M, at a $7M loss
- Billionaire Daniel Och sells 220 Central Park South penthouse for $190M
- The ultimate guide to Greenpoint, a Brooklyn waterfront neighborhood on the rise
- $74.34M penthouse at Aman New York is NYC’s biggest sale of the year
- Rent Guidelines Board set to approve biggest rent hike for NYC’s stabilized apartments in a decade
▽ ▽ ▽
Photo of water towers on East 57th Street via Wikimedia
From the archive
- The history behind NYC’s water towers
- The 10 best plants for apartment dwellers
- A guide to the Gilded Age mansions of 5th Avenue’s millionaire row
- 20 underground and secret NYC attractions you need to check out
- ‘Friends’ in NYC: How plausible were the Greenwich Village apartments depicted in the hit ’90s series?
▽ ▽ ▽
SEE ALL PAST LISTS HERE:
- 6SQFT’S TOP STORIES OF 2021!
- 6SQFT’S TOP STORIES OF 2020!
- 6SQFT’S TOP STORIES OF 2019!
- 6SQFT’S TOP STORIES OF 2018!
- 6SQFT’S TOP STORIES OF 2017!
- 6SQFT’S TOP STORIES OF 2016!
- 6sqft’s Most Read Stories of 2015!
- 6SQFT’S TOP STORIES OF 2014!
Lead image photo credits: Photo of Fad Market courtesy of Fad Market, Photo of One South First Street courtesy of NYC Department of Housing Preservation and Development, Photo of “Red Cube” by Isamu Noguchi by Billie Grace Ward on Flickr, Photo of the Aman building courtesy of Aman New York