Architectural artifacts from two demolished 1909 Upper East Side mansions will be for sale
Via Google Street View
New York City-based architectural salvage dealer The Demolition Depot has announced that numerous treasures that make up the historic interiors from two Upper East Side mansions–set to be demolished for a condo development– will be available for sale, by appointment on a first come first served basis. A trove of original architectural ornaments is being offered by the dealer, including “magnificent complete paneled rooms, finely carved marble mantels, elegant stair railings in iron or carved wood, leaded glass windows, parquet flooring, and so on.”
A Georgian-style complete paneled room, featuring a carved mirrored arched overmantel; Via The Demolition Depot
A Georgian-style marble mantle with posts of finely carved foliate, floral, and avian motifs; Via The Demolition Depot
The French Renaissance-style mirror-image limestone mansions at 107 and 109 East 79th Street were originally built in 1909 for Edith T. Martin and Alice Martin McCoon. According to Daytonian, the homes were designed by architects Foster, Gade & Graham for a projected cost of $40,000 each.
Plans were filed earlier this year by Legion Investment Group to demolish five low-rise buildings that include the twin townhouses in order to build a 19-story, 36-unit condominium building at the site, according to public records and reports cited by Upper East Side Patch. SLCE Architects has been identified to design the new building. You can find out more about the historic items for sale here.