Donald Trump

Central Park South, Recent Sales

trump parc east, donald trump, trump organization nyc

Via Wikimedia

President Donald Trump this month sold a $2.9 million condo at his Central Park South building to an unknown buyer, Forbes reported Tuesday. According to public documents, the deal between the Trump Organization and an entity called Koctagon LLC occurred on March 8 for an apartment at Trump Parc East, an 79-unit building next to the south end of Central Park. A limited liability company, or LLC, is typically used to protect the identity of the buyer.

Get the details

Transportation

Photo courtesy of Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s office.

Despite a meeting in November to discuss the Gateway project, President Donald Trump has made it clear that the 2020 federal budget doesn’t specify an money for the much-needed rail tunnel under the Hudson River. U.S. Department of Transportation Deputy Secretary Jeffrey Rosen told reporters Monday that, “Those transit projects are local responsibilities, and elected officials from New York and New Jersey are the ones accountable for them.” Gov. Andrew Cuomo replied in a statement, “These ridiculous claims should not be taken seriously,” calling the exclusion of funds for the project “political posturing.”

200,000 daily commuters hope somebody figures it out

Hotels, Soho

Image: Trump Soho; Donald Trump via Wikimedia Commons

After a prolonged economic slump and a not-so-subtle rebranding, Soho’s Dominick Hotel—formerly known as the Trump Soho—has experienced a formidable increase in revenue, as Bloomberg reports. The revenue per available room rose more than 20 percent from last year. The hotel’s average nightly rate increased by $51 (a 20 percent increase compared to just 2 percent among the hotel’s competitors) and had 7,000 more bookings in 2018 than in 2017.

More info

Policy, Transportation

gateway program, hudson river tunnel, amtrak

Via Amtrak

If the only rail link between New Jersey and Manhattan shuttered, homes in the region would see a drop in home value by $22 billion, according to a report released on Tuesday. An analysis from the Regional Plan Association highlights the economic effects of a partial shutdown of the Hudson River tunnel, which was severely damaged by Hurricane Sandy and carries 200,000 daily passengers via Amtrak and NJ Transit. To make repairs to the 110-year-old tunnels, officials have called for a $13 billion project that would construct a second tunnel to keep service operating while the existing tunnel is restored. But President Donald Trump’s administration said it will not support the Gateway tunnel project, making a partial shutdown of the tunnel more likely, according to the RPA (h/t Crain’s).

Get the details

Upper West Side 

Photo via Nick Normal’s Flickr

The condominium board at 120 Riverside Boulevard announced Thursday that they had voted to remove the “Trump Place” sign from their building’s facade, the Washington Post reports. The vote follows a decision last October to remove the Trump Place sign from the nearby condo at 200 Riverside Boulevard. Since Trump was elected president, five New York City buildings have opted to remove the Trump stamp in an expression of displeasure with the former reality show host who got his start here.

Hey, we didn’t vote for the guy

Cool Listings, Jamaica

Trump’s childhood home in Queens hits market for $2.9M

By Devin Gannon, Tue, February 5, 2019

85-15 Wareham Place, Donald Trump, Trump childhood home

President Donald Trump’s boyhood home in Jamacia Estates is set to hit the market this week for a pricey $2.9 million. The home, which is not owned by Trump or his organization, is decorated somewhat as a shrine to the president, with lots of framed photos of him, a copy of “The Art of the Deal,” and a life-size cut out of the Queens native in the living room. The owner, who bought the property in 2017 for $2.14 million under the guise of Trump Birth House LLC, requests offers be submitted via email, along with proof of funds. The home will then be sold through a closed bidding process, as first reported by the Wall Street Journal.

See inside

affordable housing, Policy

Via Michael Appleton/ Mayoral Photography Office on Flickr

If the federal government shutdown continues into March, the city will lose $500 million monthly, Mayor Bill de Blasio warned Thursday. Without funding for federally funded government programs, more than two million New Yorkers could lose access to vital benefits, including food stamps, Section 8 vouchers, and public school lunch. The shutdown, now the longest in history, began last month after Congress failed to reach an appropriations deal and as President Donald Trump refuses to withdraw his request for a $5.6 billion border wall.

More this way

City Living, Policy

Via CC

NYC & Company, the city’s tourism and marketing agency, announced on Wednesday that the number of visitors to the city rose to a record high of 65.2 million in 2018, as the New York Times first reported. This is a notable jump up from 2017’s 61.4 million and the ninth straight annual increase. Most visitors still come from within the United States, but the number of tourists from China saw an uptick from 1.04 million in 2017 to 1.1 million. The agency was expecting an overall drop in tourism numbers, and particularly from China, due to President Donald Trump’s trade battle with the country and “America First” rhetoric, but the industry continues to thrive in the president’s hometown.

More here

Policy, Transportation

Via Flickr

With each passing month of the partial government shutdown–currently in its third week–the Metropolitan Transportation Authority stands to lose $150 million per month in federal funds, Sen. Chuck Schumer said Sunday. Without funds from Washington, which are allocated for track repair work and construction projects, the MTA may have to cut back service or borrow money, if the shutdown continues. “They can last another four weeks, but after that, [the MTA has] got real trouble,” Schumer said during a news conference, as the New York Post reported. “They may have to borrow which would increase their costs. They may have to cut back, which would be a very bad thing.”

More here

Policy, Transportation

Governor Cuomo takes his second tour of the Gateway Tunnel

By Alexandra Alexa, Thu, December 20, 2018

Via Flickr

Last night, Governor Cuomo toured the Gateway Tunnel to survey its levels of corrosion and damage beneath the Hudson River. He was joined by the same experts from Cornell University’s College of Engineering and Columbia University’s Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science who toured the Canarsie Tunnel last week with the Governor. The purpose of the tour was to provide insight into rehabilitating the Canarsie Tunnel ahead of the L train shutdown. However, the tour may definitely have done double duty as a push to the Trump administration, reiterating the importance of this critical project which won’t be able to go forward without federal support.

Find out more

SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTERS

Thank you, your sign-up request was successful!
This email address is already subscribed, thank you!
Please provide a valid email address.
Please complete the CAPTCHA.
Oops. Something went wrong. Please try again later.