Smithsonian Magazine’s Museum Day is drawing near–this year it’s on Saturday, Sept. 21. It’s a chance to get free admission to museums across the country, including more than 30 New York City options. Tickets became available on August 15 on Smithsonian’s website, where you can download two free tickets to museums, galleries, and cultural institutions like the Cooper Hewitt Design Museum, the Museum of Arts and Design, the Intrepid Sea, Air, and Space Museum and many more.
The USS Intrepid via Wikimedia Commons
Even if you’re not in New York City, the event extends to cities all around the country. Check the Museum Day website to search for participating institutions near you. A Museum Day ticket provides free admission for two people on Saturday, September 21, 2019.
Just a few of the many cool NYC options include:
- Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum
- Museum of Arts and Design
- Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum
- The Jewish Museum
- The American Folk Art Museum
- The Noguchi Museum
- The New York City Fire Museum
As a side note, this year, Museum Day celebrates the Smithsonian Year of Music, an institution-wide celebration of the Smithsonian’s vast musical collections and resources through 365 days of music-related programming.
The Smithsonian Year of Music crosses disciplines to honor and help you discover music-related resources in art, history, culture, science, and education. Participating museums have been invited to create programming to highlight the world’s rich musical heritage.
Get more information and tickets here.
- Fall art roundup: Highlights of the season’s new crop of exhibitions, openings and events
- Apple and the New Museum launch free augmented reality art walks in Central Park
- 20 underground and secret NYC attractions you need to check out
- The best design museums in New York City
Tags : Smithsonian Museum Day