New water filtration system claims it can bring NYC pizza and bagels worldwide

Posted On Tue, March 20, 2018 By

Posted On Tue, March 20, 2018 By In City Living

Pizza from Patsy’s in East Harlem, via Wiki Commons

By now you’ve surely heard that New York City’s pizza and bagels stand out because of our tap water. And now a New Jersey company is trying to capitalize on that widely-accepted theory by marketing a water-filtration system that can match the molecular makeup of NYC water, thereby allowing anyone anywhere to replicate our tasty dough (h/t NYP). This past Monday, the $2,890/year New York WaterMaker was unveiled at the International Pizza Expo in Las Vegas, and apparently, it already has the approval of some old-school New York pizza makers.

From the New York WaterMaker website

As 6sqft previously explained, “more than 90 percent of the city’s water supply comes from the Catskill/Delaware watershed, about 125 miles north of NYC; the other 10 percent comes from the Croton watershed.” Because of the Catskill Mountains’ geological makeup that has very little limestone rock, the water has extremely low levels of bitter-tasting calcium. New York WaterMaker gets into no actual science on their site, but they do claim to be “the world’s first patent-pending water replication system.”

Perhaps their greatest testament thus far comes from Mike Burke of Staten Island’s long-time pizzeria Denino’s. After opening a second location in the southern New Jersey town of Brick, Denino would truck down water from NYC after realizing that the local tap water didn’t create a comparable pie (he says New Jersey pizza is “very white and doughy” as opposed to New York’s being “brown and crunchy”). He then tried the filtration system and said there was no difference. He soon plans to franchise his concept with 10-year leases and a new shipment of filters every six months.

Via New York WaterMaker

Paul Errigo, chief executive of New York WaterMaker, told the Post, “We think there is a market for microbreweries and coffee franchises [too].”

[Via NYP]

RELATED:

 

Tags : , ,

MOST RECENT ARTICLES

SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTERS

Thank you, your sign-up request was successful!
This email address is already subscribed, thank you!
Please provide a valid email address.
Please complete the CAPTCHA.
Oops. Something went wrong. Please try again later.
Archtober2020