Sick of just reading about today’s architects and designers? Now’s your chance to meet some of these prolific figures in the flesh, through the Van Alen Institute’s third annual Auction of Art + Design Experiences. Launched today, the experiences you can bid on include dinner at Daniel Libeskind‘s Tribeca apartment cooked by his wife Nina, the chance to harvest cocktail ingredients in the Lowline Lab with founder James Ramsey, pedicures in Brooklyn with artist Diana Al-Hadid, and a recipe tasting in Bon Appétit’s One World Trade Center offices.
The auction began today at noon with most experiences starting between $1,450 and $1,750. Of the 25 prizes being offered up, here are the highlights:
- Dinner at the Libeskind’s: You and a guest can dine at the Libeskind’s apartment in Tribeca for one of Nina Libeskind’s famous home-cooked meals. You’ll gather around the family’s kitchen table (the first object Daniel Libeskind ever designed, long before coming up with the World Trade Center masterplan) and sip wine with the couple’s closest family and friends. Starting bid $1,450
- The Lowline Theory: Grab your friends and head over to the Lowline Lab, a high-tech, small-scale version of the world’s first underground park. Here, James Ramsey, principal of architecture firm raad and creator of the Lowline, will help you harvest ingredients that a master bartender will use to make refreshing cocktails. Starting bid $950
- Prime Your Palette with Richard Rogers: In addition to designing famed buildings like Paris’ Pompidou Centre, Pritzker Prize-winning architect Richard Rogers also owns London’s iconic Michelin-starred River Cafe, which he, of course, designed. You and a guest will join him for a chat about the space while you enjoy his wife Ruth’s spectacular Italian food. Starting bid $1,750
- A Jaunt Around Madrid: Pritzker Prize-winning architect Rafael Moneo brings you and a guest on his daily walk around the Spanish capital. Starting bid $1,750
- Table for Four at The French Laundry: Located in the gorgeous Napa Valley, Thomas Heller’s three-Michelin star restaurant The French Laundry is one of the most famous in the world. Elaine Molinar and Craig Dykers of Snøhetta (the firm who renovated the establishment and are also responsible for the 9/11 Memorial Museum Pavilion here in NYC) will join you and a guest for the tasting menu, and they’ll then take you back to the updated kitchen. Starting bid $1,450
- Foot Fetish: Pick a friend and join contemporary artist Diana Al-Hadid for pedicures at a Brooklyn salon. Then head over to Diana’s studio where she’ll create a cast of your freshly-pampered foot to be included in her next project. Starting bid $1,750
- Inside Bon Appétit’s Test Kitchen: Not only will you get to taste brand new recipes with three guests, but you’ll get to check out Bon Appétit’s new offices in One World Trade Center. Starting bid $950
You can place your bids and see all of the other prizes being auctioned off here. The auction closes at 5:00pm on April 27th.
- Place a Bid to Ride in Norman Foster’s Helicopter or Smoke Up with Bjarke Ingels in Copenhagen
- INTERVIEW: Lowline Creator James Ramsey Discusses the Challenges of Building an Underground Park
- In Memoriam: Zaha Hadid’s Unknown, Unbuilt and Celebrated Projects in New York City