As industry buffs release their year-end reports full of charts and stats, WNYC is taking a different approach, getting an insider’s look with the actual people wheeling and dealing real estate across the city. Launched Monday, “Who’s Buying New York?” is a week-long series that takes a look at the current real estate boom taking New York by storm.
The podcast series investigates the financial muscle behind the supertalls changing our skyline, who’s buying those units in those buildings, and what this all means for the rest of us. Reporters also chat with some high-earning Chinese investors buying apartments in New York they never plan on living in, and they take a look at all the extra moves property owners take to hide their identities.
Image © CityRealty
The series site is already packed with a slew of fascinating podcasts and here’s a sampling of what’s gone up so far:
- Behind the Boom: Will last year’s record-breaking prices continue through 2015?
- My Mystery Landlord: Who actually owns your building and why not knowing puts you at risk
- Matchmaker, Matchmaker Find Me a Building: The market is crowded, but you should place your bets on the South Bronx
- The Chinese Guide to Buying Real Estate in New York: Why buying foreign property is trending in China. And a look at the first-Chinese owned tower, the Oosten
- 7 Metaphors for that Super Skinny New Skyscraper: A handy guide for those running out of ways to describe One57
- Tax Breaks Look Good from 90 Stories Up: Why NYC’s tax system is flawed when it comes to super-luxury condos
You can see what else is on tap at WNYC this week here. And be sure to keep an eye out for the WNYC Data News team’s interactive map, which will allow you to use geo-location to find out what type of building will be popping up near you.
This week will be a riveting one…