Last month, the Port Authority of of New York and New Jersey officially launched a design competition for a new bus terminal, which could cost up to $10 billion and require the use of eminent domain. A new Port Authority Bus Terminal aims to accommodate tens of thousands of additional riders, many of whom will then need to connect to a subway line. To accommodate all these potential new riders, the MTA is looking to revive its past plan of building a 7 train station at 10th Avenue and 41st Street, reports Crain’s, which could cost up to $1 billion.
, Mon, April 4, 2016
, Tue, March 24, 2015
- Visiting a hidden shoe repair shop in Grand Central. [Jeremiah’s Vanishing NY]
- Climb all 180 flights of stairs of One World Trade Center to support the Stephen Siller Tunnel to Towers Foundation and Captain Billy Burke Foundation, charities that help the families of 9/11 first responders and military veterans. [amNY]
- Astoria residents mourn the city’s decision to cut down a massive, century-old tree. [DNAinfo]
- A moving sidewalk, a skyscraper megachurch with an underground swimming pool — check out these forgotten plans for NYC. [NYmag]
- The 7 train extension opening is delayed again. [Curbed]
- Every hour, hundreds of thousands of tiny plastic pieces — each one roughly the size of fine glitter — pour out of the Hudson River, into the ocean and the fish we eat. Yum. [WNYC]
Images: One World Trade Center (L); Alfred Speer’s proposed moving sidewalk (R)
, Tue, June 3, 2014
- 8 Treehouses For Your Inner Child: We know you love beautiful things. Why else would you be reading this blog? Well, we have a little gift for you via Architizer. These treehouses will make you want to grab your peanut butter and jelly sandwich and your “No Boys/Girls Allowed” sign and camp out.
- Shake Shack’s Birthday Bash to Include a Music Festival: Shake Shack is about to celebrate 10 years in Madison Square Park and they’re throwing a giant bash with a music festival and limited edition burgers from celebrity chefs. Bedford and Bowery has the mouthwatering details on the weeklong birthday celebration.
- Permits Filed for Domino Sugar Refinery: Two Trees has filed the permits for the project and NY YIMBY has the inside scoop complete with renderings.
- Everything Apple Didn’t Announce at WWDC: Yesterday was Christmas for the people who wait patiently to get a glimpse of the new products Apple plans to release each year. Well, Gizmodo has the encore with more developments Apple hasn’t told you about yet.
- Rendering Posted for 20-Unit Building in Bushwick: The Brownstoner just found a rendering on the fence surrounding a vacant lot in Bushwick and they have details on the new development.
- Panic on the 7 Train: A rail fire on the 7 train had passengers fearing the worst. The New York Observer has more on this terrifying episode.
Images: Domino Refinery rendering (left), Treehouse (right)