Construction progress as of mid-October, via CityRealty
In May 2012, TF Cornerstone (TFC) entered a 99-year ground lease for the building’s site that spans nearly a full city block and measures 63,000 square feet. Now topped out and fully skinned, the massive rental at 606 West 57th Street has a less flashy appearance than renderings previously hinted, but still features an impressively imposing, boxy design, as CityRealty reported. Designed by Arquitectonica, the 42-story, 1.2 million-square-foot building will contain a whopping 1,028 apartments. It joins other West Side gems like the Helena and the pyramid-shaped, Bjarke Ingels-designed Via57 West.
See it here
Site excavation continues on TF Cornerstone‘s (TFC) mammoth 42-story rental development at 606 West 57th Street between Eleventh Avenue and the West Side Highway.
Midtown’s 57th Street has become synonymous with superlative titles, with the tallest, the thinnest, most expensive, and, arguably, some of the most exciting high-rises the city has seen in decades. At the far west end of the two-mile thoroughfare, TFC has joined in on the megalomania with a 1,028-unit, 1.2 million-square-foot rental building that will become the second largest apartment building in the city after Moinian‘s SKY project a few blocks south.
More details ahead
- Republicans have a new plan to cut taxes for the top 0.2 percent. [Washington Post]
- Is another building on the way for the South Street Seaport? [TRD]
- Renderings revealed for a huge, blocky glass building coming to 57th Street. [Curbed]
- Our favorite April Fools story today: Kanye West and Kim Kardashian buy entire NYC micro-apartment building to turn it into an “urban mega-mansion.” [Inhabitat NYC]
- City disapproves ODA’s initial design for a new rental building in Bushwick at the former Rheingold Brewery site that includes a sloping, zig-zagging green roof. [TRD]
- Downtown Brooklyn’s real estate boom is leading to major overcrowding in local public schools. [BK Mag]
Images: 606 West 57th Street via TF Cornerstone (L); Kim and Kanye (R)