Photo of Madison Square Garden via NYC and Company
This month, 19 buildings throughout the five boroughs will be lighting up rainbow in honor of WorldPride and the 50th anniversary of the Stonewall Riots. The city-wide display is part of NYC and Company’s Project Rainbow, a marketing initiative led by the city’s official tourism organization. Among the sites listed are the Empire State Building, Madison Square Garden, and the World Trade Center.
Photo of Pershing Square by Tyler Schweitzer for NYC and Company
“New York City is the birthplace of the modern LGBTQ rights movement and has played a significant role in the progress the global movement has made,” said Mayor Bill de Blasio in a statement. “Lighting our skyline will remind LGBTQ people around the world that New York City will always be a beacon of hope and a place to call home.”
Photo of Pier 17 by Vladislav Grach for the Howard Hughes Corporation
With an expected attendance of 4.5 million people at the NYC Pride March, this year is anticipated to be the largest LGBTQ+ event in the world. WorldPride kicks off June 26th with a benefit concert at the Barclays Center and runs until the end of June.
The Empire State Building image ® is a registered trademark of ESRT Empire State Building L. L. C. and is used with permission
In addition, NYC and Company has declared 2019 the Year of Pride. Although Pride Month ends on June 30th, events highlighting the art and contribution of members of the LGBTQ+ community will continue through the year.
The sites set to light up for Pride Month are:
- Bloomberg Headquarters: June 30.
- City Hall. June 10- 30.
- Empire State Building: June 30.
- Helmsley Building: June 24–30.
- Javits Center’s Crystal Palace: June 26–30.
- Madison Square Garden: June 30.
- One Bryant Park: June 28–30.
- One World Trade Center: Base, June 26–30; Spire, June 28–30.
- 151 West 42: June 28–30.
- Pershing Square-42nd Street Viaduct (Grand Central Partnership & MTA Metro-North): June 26–30.
- Pier 17: June 26–30.
- 30 Rockefeller Plaza: June 26-30
- Barclays Center: June 24-26; June 29-30.
- Coney Island Parachute Jump in cooperation with Luna Park NYC: June 26–30.
- Weylin, together with Brooktech: June 26–30.
- The Bronx Borough President’s Office: June 25–30.
- Hutchinson Metro Center: Every evening through June 30.
- Empire Outlets: Every evening through June 30.
- Resorts World Casino New York City: June 30.
- 50 ways to celebrate Stonewall 50 and Pride Month in NYC
- Same celebration, different courses: The routes of Pride marches and parades in NYC
- MTA rolls out rainbow MetroCards and train decals for Pride month