Photo by Iwan Baan, courtesy of The Shed
After news broke last month about the Hamptons fundraiser Related Companies CEO Stephen Ross hosted for President Donald Trump, there were calls to boycott organizations owned by his company. While Equinox, SoulCycle, and David Chang’s Momofuku Restaurant Group separated themselves from Ross to clear the air, some fashion brands have more recently blacklisted Ross-linked entities, including the arts center The Shed at Hudson Yards, which was developed by Related. The New York Post reported this week that Michael Kors, Vera Wang, and the Academy of Art have canceled shows at the venue following the fundraiser fallout in August.
Is The Shed so last year?
NYC Fashion Week kicks off today–what better time to de-clutter, de-hoard, and make some room in your closet. Every year New Yorkers jettison approximately 200,000 tons of clothing, shoes, handbags and other textiles and clothing items. re-fashioNYC is a partnership between the NYC Department of Sanitation and Housing Works that is making it easier than ever to donate those items instead. The convenient in-building service will supply collection bins to your apartment building (with over 10 units), workplace, gym, school or other public building, then collect the contents whenever the bins are full. re-fashioNYC is completely nonprofit and charitable–all proceeds from donations support the charitable mission of Housing Works to end homelessness and AIDS. Nothing donated is sent to landfills.
Find out more
- Derby the dog was able to run for the first time thanks to 3D-printed paws. [Designboom]
- This Staten Island library recalls the neighborhood’s maritime and oystering history. [ArchDaily]
- Fashion Week needs a new home; it’s been evicted from Lincoln Center. [West Side Rag]
- NYC’s “awkwardly shaped” tax lots, like the Hess Triangle, equal over five million square feet of land. See it all mapped out. [Untapped]
- Amazon’s Prime Now will deliver packages to Manhattan within an hour. [Gothamist]
Images: Derby the dog via Derby Portanova (L); Fashion Week via The Style PA via photopin cc (R)