Via Queens Museum
It’s that time of year again–grab your history buff pals, die-hard New Yorkers, or anyone who loves a good round of trivia and head out to the Queens Museum on Friday, March 1st for the 12th annual Panorama Challenge. Hosted by the City Reliquary, Queens Museum, and The Levys’ Unique New York, the event uses the Panorama of the City of New York at the Queens Museum – a 1964 World’s Fair relic that is the world’s largest architectural scale model – to test participants’ knowledge on everything from Revolutionary NYC to Rock of Ages (geology) to Tunnel Time. To get ready, Quizmaster Jonathan Turer has shared a set of teaser questions, especially for 6sqft readers.
1. The Vanderbilt and Scorsese families have plots in which Staten Island cemetery?
A) St. Raymonds
D) St Mary’s
2. Queens’ Rego Park gets it name from…
A) Real Good (name of construction/development company)
B) Rex Ethel Gus Olivia (developer’s kids’ names)
C) mis-spelling of “Regal”
D) REady to GO (promise of speedy completion)
3. Rodman’s Neck (in the Bronx) is home to what NYPD facility?
A) Firing Range
B) Police Academy
C) Pension Fund
D) where the boys of the NYPD Choir practice singing “Galway Bay”
4. What record label was started by Russell Simmons and Rick Rubin in Rubin’s NYU dorm room?
B) Def American
C) Def Jam
5. The “Free Black” community of Weeksville (now surrounded by the neighborhood of Bedford-Stuyvesant) was centered along which historic road?
A) Hunters Point Ave
B) Hunterfly Road
C) Superfly Road
D) Buffalo Soldier Road
Want to know the answers? Sign your team up now for the Panorama challenge!
A free shuttle will travel between the Queens Museum and under the Mets‐Willets Point 7 stop from 5:30-7 pm and 9-10 pm.