Search Results for: -fifth avenue

May 22, 2026

NYC to widen protected bike lane on Sixth Avenue before World Cup

Sixth Avenue’s protected bike lane will be widened along one of its most congested stretches as part of a series of street safety projects launched by the Mamdani administration ahead of the World Cup this summer. Mayor Zohran Mamdani announced Wednesday that the corridor’s bike lane will expand from six to 10 feet between 14th Street and West 31st Street, removing one travel lane and allowing for safer passing and side-by-side biking, as first reported by Streetsblog. The project had previously been announced under former Mayor Eric Adams but was never implemented.
Learn more
May 11, 2026

Park Avenue penthouse with enormous terrace owned by Maurice Tempelsman lists for $5.5M

The Park Avenue penthouse owned by Maurice Tempelsman, Jackie Kennedy Onassis's longtime companion, is now on the market. Tempelsman, who died last summer at the age of 95, bought the top-floor co-op at 1155 Park Avenue in Carnegie Hill for $3.3 million in 1999, as the New York Times reported. Now asking $5.5 million, the two-bedroom pre-war apartment is surrounded by an enormous, landscaped terrace, providing a serene rooftop garden with views of Manhattan and Central Park.
see the home
April 17, 2026

Trump will release funds for Second Avenue Subway extension

The Trump administration on Thursday agreed to release nearly $60 million in federal funding for the Second Avenue Subway extension, ending a monthslong dispute that began during October’s government shutdown. According to the New York Times, in a letter filed in Federal Claims Court, a lawyer for the government said the administration would resume payments to the Metropolitan Transportation Authority after the agency sued in March over the withheld funding. The funds were initially held while the U.S. Department of Transportation (U.S. DOT) reviewed the MTA's race- and sex-based contracting requirements, which the agency now says have been satisfied.
details here
April 9, 2026

City to restart Flatbush Avenue redesign this month

Work to redesign Brooklyn’s Flatbush Avenue will resume this month, Mayor Zohran Mamdani and the city's Department of Transportation (DOT) announced Thursday. The project will create dedicated center lanes along the notoriously congested and dangerous corridor from Livingston Street to Grand Army Plaza, and is expected to speed up commutes for 132,000 daily bus riders, who currently travel at average speeds of under 4 miles per hour. Initial work on the four-phase project began last fall, but DOT suspended construction because of winter weather. Construction will restart at the end of April and continue into the fall of 2026, weather permitting.
Find out more
March 20, 2026

NYC begins redesign of Ninth Avenue in Hell’s Kitchen

Ninth Avenue in Hell's Kitchen will join a growing number of Manhattan corridors slated for redesigns, the city's Department of Transportation (DOT) announced Thursday. The project will immediately begin along a stretch from West 34th to West 50th Streets, where pedestrian space will be expanded, the protected bike lane widened, and the bus lane extended and repainted to 50th Street. The improvements are expected to be completed ahead of the FIFA World Cup this summer, when sidewalk overcrowding in the area is expected to increase.
Find out more
March 17, 2026

MTA sues Trump administration over frozen Second Avenue Subway funding

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority is suing President Donald Trump's administration after it failed to resume federal funding for the Second Avenue Subway expansion. Filed Tuesday in the Federal Court of Claims, the lawsuit claims the federal government breached a contract with the MTA and threatens the $7 billion project to extend the Q line from 96th Street to 125th Street in East Harlem by blocking the agency from awarding its next excavation contract for two new stations. The MTA had warned the federal government late last month that it would take legal action if more than $58 million owed for the project was not restored within a week.
learn more
February 26, 2026

MTA threatens to sue Trump over stalled Second Avenue Subway funds

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority says it will sue the federal government unless funding for the Second Avenue Subway expansion resumes within a week. The MTA on Wednesday sent a letter to President Donald Trump's administration, warning that the agency will pursue legal action unless the federal government restores more than $58 million owed for the project by March 6, citing concerns that further delays could stall the long-planned expansion. Funding for the Second Avenue Subway was halted during the October government shutdown, along with funding for the Gateway project.
Learn more
January 14, 2026

Second Avenue Subway to expand west on 125th Street with three new stations

The next phase of the Second Avenue Subway, originally planned to continue down Manhattan’s Second Avenue, will instead run west along 125th Street, Gov. Kathy Hochul said Tuesday. The announcement, delivered during Hochul’s 2026 State of the State address, marks a major departure from the century-old plan to extend the Second Avenue Subway all the way to lower Manhattan. Instead, the Q train will be rerouted west along 125th Street, adding three new stations and ending at Broadway in Morningside Heights.
Find out more
October 23, 2025

Hillside Avenue in Queens gets first bus lane upgrades in more than 50 years

More than 215,000 daily bus riders who travel on Hillside Avenue in Queens will now benefit from faster and safer commutes. On Thursday, Department of Transportation Commissioner Ydanis Rodriguez announced the completion of nearly eight miles of new and upgraded bus lanes along the corridor, one of the longest bus priority projects in the agency’s history. The project adds offset bus lanes from 139th Street to Springfield Boulevard, improving service for 22 routes that together carry more riders than the entire populations of Yonkers and Rochester.
Find out more
October 21, 2025

JPMorgan opens soaring 60-story NYC headquarters at 270 Park Avenue

JPMorganChase’s massive Midtown East headquarters, the tallest all-electric skyscraper in New York City, is now open. Designed by Norman Foster's Foster + Partners, the 1,400-foot-tall building at 270 Park Avenue can accommodate 10,000 employees across 2.5 million square feet of workspace. Rising 60 stories, the $3 billion skyscraper features a striking “fan-column” design that rises about 80 feet above street level and provides 2.5 times more outdoor space than its predecessor.
get the details
October 2, 2025

1,600-foot-tall office tower 350 Park Avenue gets unanimous City Council approval

Billionaire Ken Griffin’s proposed 1,600-foot office tower at 350 Park Avenue will be built after the City Council unanimously approved the building last week. The Council voted 48-0 to approve the 62-story supertall building developed by Vornado Realty Trust, Citadel, and Rudin Management and designed by Norman Foster's Foster + Partners. The tower will deliver 1.8 million square feet of office space anchored by Griffin’s Citadel and Citadel Securities, plus a new public concourse. The huge building will rise 200 feet taller than JPMorgan Chase’s headquarters at 270 Park Avenue, also designed by Foster + Partners.
details this way
October 1, 2025

Trump withholds $18B for Second Avenue subway, Gateway tunnel projects

President Donald Trump's administration announced it is withholding $18 billion for two critical New York City infrastructure projects, the Second Avenue Subway and the Hudson River Gateway Tunnel, citing the state's "unconstitutional DEI principles." In a statement, Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy said funds for the two projects are frozen until the department can review what it calls "discriminatory, unconstitutional contracting processes." The move from Trump came hours after the federal government shutdown.
more here
September 5, 2025

Flatbush Avenue redesign to begin this fall

Flatbush Avenue is getting faster (and safer). Department of Transportation Commissioner Ydanis Rodriguez on Friday announced work will begin this fall on center-running bus lanes along the busy Brooklyn corridor, from Livingston Street to Grand Army Plaza. The overhaul aims to speed up trips for 132,000 daily riders, where buses now average less than 4 miles per hour. Slated for completion in 2026, the project also includes pedestrian islands with covered seating, shorter crossing times, and updated curb regulations to support local businesses.
Learn more
August 18, 2025

Second Avenue Subway extension moves ahead in Harlem with $2B contract

East Harlem is one major step closer to having better subway access for the first time since the 1940s. The board of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority on Monday approved a nearly $2 billion tunnel-boring contract for the second phase of the Second Avenue Subway, which extends the Q train from 96th Street to 125th Street. The tunneling contract marks the largest awarded in agency history.
learn more
August 14, 2025

Plan to build huge 72-story tower at 395 Flatbush Avenue enters public review

The proposal to turn an outdated Downtown Brooklyn office building into a 72-story tower with over 1,000 apartments officially entered public review this week. Mayor Eric Adams on Thursday announced that 395 Flatbush Avenue Extension has begun the seven-month uniform land-use review procedure (ULURP). The tower would be the second-tallest in the borough after the Brooklyn Tower, and feature roughly 1,200 mixed-income residences, with at least 25 percent set aside as permanently affordable for households earning 60 percent of the area median income.
Find out more
July 16, 2025

Judge halts Adams’ removal of Bedford Avenue protected bike lane

A disputed stretch of protected bike lane on Bedford Avenue in Brooklyn was spared demolition for a second time, after a state judge blocked the Adams administration from removing it just hours before construction was set to begin. On Tuesday, state appellate court judge Lourdes M. Ventura issued a temporary restraining order, halting the city’s plan to shift the lane from the curb to the center of the avenue between Willoughby and Flushing Avenues. The decision came less than a week after another judge dismissed a lawsuit filed by street safety advocates, ruling that Mayor Eric Adams could move forward with the redesign because it “is not a major transportation project.”
Find out more
July 10, 2025

Bedford Avenue protected bike lane can be removed, judge rules

Part of a protected bike lane along Bedford Avenue in Bed-Stuy will be removed after a New York state judge said Mayor Eric Adams can move forward with a plan to get rid of three blocks of the lane. Brooklyn Supreme Court Judge Carolyn Walker-Diallo on Wednesday gave the green light to the city’s Department of Transportation (DOT) to shift the lane from the curb to the center of the avenue between Willoughby and Flushing Avenues, according to Gothamist. Adams first announced the change in June after community backlash over collisions between cyclists and pedestrians, which prompted a lawsuit from street safety advocates to block the removal.
Learn more
July 8, 2025

The High Line’s 10th Avenue Square closed through August for repairs

One of the High Line’s busiest sections has closed this summer for a major upgrade. After 16 years of use, the 10th Avenue Square is temporarily off-limits for vital repairs due to wear and tear from the millions of annual visitors who pass through the popular spot, known for its stunning south-facing views of the Statue of Liberty and the Hudson River. During the reconstruction, the High Line will be closed between 16th and 17th Streets, including the adjacent Sunken Overlook seating area.
Learn more
July 7, 2025

Astoria’s 31st Avenue gets two-way bike boulevard, more pedestrian space

The first round of pedestrian and cyclist safety upgrades along 31st Avenue in Astoria is now complete, with more improvements on the way. On Thursday, Department of Transportation (DOT) Commissioner Ydanis Rodriguez announced the completion of the first phase of the corridor’s transformation into a bike boulevard, including a new east-west protected bike connection from Vernon Boulevard to Steinway Street that creates a continuous protected route from Astoria to the Queensboro Bridge. The project also expands pedestrian space, upgrades intersections to slow turning vehicles, and adds new public seating.
Learn more
June 16, 2025

Mayor Adams wants to remove part of protected bike lane on Bedford Avenue

Mayor Eric Adams announced plans for the city to remove part of the protected bike lane on Bedford Avenue in Brooklyn after concerns from local residents. Last year, a 1.5-mile protected bike lane was added to Bedford Avenue from Dean Street in Crown Heights to Flushing Avenue in Bed-Stuy, a section known for being unsafe due to speeding vehicles. But after several crashes between cyclists and pedestrians, particularly young children, the mayor said three blocks of the protected bike lane will be removed and returned to its original unprotected configuration. Following a lawsuit filed by Transportation Alternatives, a Brooklyn Supreme Court judge on Wednesday temporarily halted the removal of the protected bike lane until a hearing in August, Streetsblog reported.
details here
June 9, 2025

Flatbush Avenue overhaul includes center-running bus lanes and pedestrian islands

New York City has proposed new center-running bus lanes along parts of Flatbush Avenue to improve safety and speed up service on one of the city’s most dangerous corridors. Unveiled Friday by the Department of Transportation (DOT), the project would convert two center car lanes into bus lanes from Livingston Street to Grand Army Plaza, better serving the nearly 70,000 daily bus riders who currently face average speeds of under 4 miles per hour—about the same speed as walking. The plan also includes pedestrian islands with covered public seating, shorter crossing times, and updated curb regulations to support local businesses.
Find out more
May 19, 2025

Lincoln Center unveils design for revamped Amsterdam Avenue side of campus

New renderings reveal a reimagined west side of Lincoln Center, part of a project aimed at making the campus more welcoming and accessible. Lincoln Center for Performing Arts (LCPA) on Monday unveiled a preliminary design for the transformation of its Amsterdam Avenue-facing side, led by Hood Design Studio, Weiss/Manfredi, and Moody Nolan. The proposal includes an outdoor performance venue, new community park spaces, and the removal of a longstanding wall, which cuts the campus off from the rest of the neighborhood.
Discover more
May 15, 2025

MTA proposes 684-unit development above future Second Avenue Subway terminus in East Harlem

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority wants to rezone a block in East Harlem to allow for a nearly 700-unit residential building above the future terminus of the Second Avenue Subway. The MTA filed plans on Tuesday to rezone the south side of East 125th Street between Third and Lexington Avenues, where the station for the last stop on the Q line will eventually open as part of the Second Avenue Subway extension. As first reported by Crain's, the MTA plans to partner with a private developer to build an apartment tower with up to 684 units on the block's west side, an MTA-owned property.
details here
March 19, 2025

Atlantic Avenue rezoning approved by City Planning Commission

A plan to create thousands of new homes, jobs, and open space along Atlantic Avenue in Brooklyn is one step closer to becoming reality. The City Planning Commission (CPC) on Wednesday voted to approve the Atlantic Avenue Mixed-Use Plan, a rezoning that could bring 4,600 new homes, 1,440 of which would be permanently affordable, 2,800 permanent jobs, and various public realm enhancements to a 21-block stretch of Atlantic Avenue. The plan now moves to the City Council for a final vote.
Learn more
March 5, 2025

NYC proposes wider bike lanes along 12 blocks of Sixth Avenue

With vehicle traffic down since the start of congestion pricing, New York City is moving forward with plans to widen bike lanes along a roughly 12-block stretch of Sixth Avenue in Manhattan. During a presentation to Manhattan Community Board 5's transportation committee last week, the city's Department of Transportation (DOT) unveiled plans to upgrade the protected bike lane along Sixth Avenue from 14th Street to 35th Street. The proposal includes removing one lane of traffic to make space for a 10-foot-wide cycling lane, building on a project from last summer that widened the bike lanes from West 9th Street to West 13th Street.
Find out more