- Do cemeteries affect real estate prices in New York? The answer might surprise you.
- It’s going to cost $32 to visit One World Trade Center’s observatory. But the views are pretty incredible.
- Did you check out the Village Halloween Parade last night? Find out the history of the famous festivity.
- If you haven’t already, wish Lady Liberty a happy belated 128th birthday! We take a brief look back at some of her most notable moments throughout history.
- $129 billion worth of New York City real estate, or 84,000 buildings, are within the new FEMA flood zone maps.
- If you like to celebrate Halloween all year, you should check out our list of New York’s spookiest and strangest homes.
NYC flood zone maps
Since FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency) updated its flood-zone maps after Superstorm Sandy, we learned that it could cost the city $5 billion to comply with the new regulations, as 60,000 additional buildings were identified as being within the flood zones. This brings the total to 84,000 buildings worth over $129 billion, according to a new report released by the Office of New York City Comptroller Scott Stringer on the two-year anniversary of Hurricane Sandy.
Following Superstorm Sandy, FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency) updated its flood-zone maps for the first time since 1983, more than doubling the included buildings to 70,000. Therefore, many more property owners are facing the decision of whether to stormproof their homes or pay up for insurance premiums that would go up as much as 18%. But going with the former choice is not as easy as one may think.
FEMA guidelines don’t take into account the unique makeup of New York City with its rowhouses and high-rises, so to comply with the current regulations it would cost the city more than $5 billion, according to studies produces by Crain’s. Those who would be absorbing the costs include middle-class homeowners; NYCHA, which owns more than 25% of rental units in the flood zone ;and owners of large apartment towers, which account for 61% of the 5.5 million properties in FEMA’s National Flood Insurance Program. All of these entities must follow the same guidelines as the plan is laid out now, but the city and a group of nonprofits are asking the agency to make changes to the insurance program.