If you need a few days out of the city to disconnect from the world and reconnect with nature, we can recommend a gorgeous spot in the most magical of pine-scented locales. Situated right in the heart of the Adirondacks and immersed in a forest of majestic trees, the White Pine Camp is a lovingly restored, historic accommodation built by the rich and powerful of the Gilded Age. Featuring a number of cozy cabins and cottages for rent, this rustically grandiose retreat also once served as the secret summer house of President Calvin Coolidge.
find everything historic
Images from Find Everything Historic
Imagine waking up one morning and getting pulled into a whirlwind of adventure, art, history, and preservation. That’s exactly what happened to Doris Cultraro of DC Studios in upstate New York when she was called in to clean and restore a 60-square-foot stained glass panel with over 6,000 pieces in 2007. “Although the original studio that produced the window was unknown, I could tell from the types of glass used that it was consistent with the great work of Louis Comfort Tiffany or Lafarge,” Cultraro told our friends at Find Everything Historic. And yes, that Tiffany. Louis’s father founded the turquoise-box silver jewelry retailer in 1837.
But how did this 19th century piece of art land in the hands of a family in the mid-Hudson Valley? They found it dumped in a salvage yard in Yonkers back in 1960 and bought it for a mere $100. According to the yard’s owner, when a wealthy tycoon’s Tarrytown mansion was demolished, the glass was left outside to rot. And the story only gets better. See if Doris was able to find out the artist of the stained glass, which wealthy businessman owned it, and where it is now on Find Everything Historic.
Image credit: MAAP
The Fraunces Tavern Museum at 54 Pearl Street in FiDi has a long history of use, changing hands and purpose countless times since it was constructed back in the 18th century. What started as a simple rental home was later turned into a dance studio, eventually finding itself as a popular tavern-slash-boarding-home-slash-community center throughout and after the Revolutionary War. The building even had a stint as the first offices of the Departments of Foreign Affairs, War and Treasury. But it wasn’t until 1904 that The Sons of the Revolution in the State of New York, Inc. took over and decided to restore and preserve the historic building as a museum and restaurant. Our friends over at Find Everything Historic recently sat down with the Fraunces Tavern Museum’s executive director Jessica Baldwin Phillips to chat about what it’s like to maintain a storied building in a constantly changing city.