Credit: SOM/ Office of Governor Cuomo on Flickr
The long-awaited new Moynihan Train Hall will be completed on December 31 with trains operating the next day, Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced on Sunday. The $1.6 billion project expands the existing Penn Station into the historic James A. Farley Post Office Building on Eighth Avenue and is part of a new mixed-use transit hub with office space and retail at the site. Named for the late U.S. Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan, the new train hall is expected to increase the cramped concourse space at Penn Station by 50 percent.
Find out more
Photo of Hudson Yards via Flickr
Several of the world’s biggest tech companies have been ramping up their Manhattan real estate search in recent months. The latest news comes from Apple, who is reportedly seeking up to 750,000 square feet of new office space, according to The Real Deal. In February, 6sqft reported that the California-based company was close to securing space at 55 Hudson Yards, but those plans have changed. Sources told The Real Deal that Apple is now considering leases at neighboring 50 Hudson Yards, the Farley Post Office, and One Madison Avenue, with brokers Martin “Mack” Horner and Peter Riguardi of JLL leading the search.
, Wed, September 17, 2014
- Unsellable condos at the Trump Soho have sent the building into foreclosure and off to the auction block. [WSJ]
- The Federal Transit Administration handed out $1.9B for Sandy-related upgrades, yesterday. $40M of the available funds will go towards the Moynihan Station and about $13 million will go to the planned $700 million second phase of the project that will turn the Farley Post Office into a terminal for Amtrak. [Crain’s]
- Abby Rosen is throwing down big bucks for 190 Bowery, the hotly sought after home of photographer Jay Maisel. The building was originally built in 1898 as a location for the Germania Bank an has been Maisel’s home since 1966. Estimates value the home at $50M. [NYT]
- The construction of college buildings is booming and spending will top $2B this year. This trend will continue at the same level for at least the next three years, reports say. [WSJ]
- 31 Bond is getting a penthouse addition. [Curbed]
Trump Soho (left); Moynihan Station (right)