© John Halpern Courtesy of the Museum of Jewish Heritage
The Smithsonian Magazine’s 18th annual Museum Day is taking place on Saturday, September 17, with 10 New York City museums participating in this year’s celebration. As part of the special day, hundreds of museums and cultural institutions across the country provide free admission to any guest with a Museum Day ticket.
This year’s theme is “Experience America,” which encourages museum lovers to go out and experience the diverse selection 0f arts, culture, sciences, innovation, and history exhibits the country has to offer.
“Museum Day goes beyond getting visitors through museum doors—it acts as a springboard to empower and help advance the hopes and ambitions of the public, particularly school-aged children and those in underrepresented communities,” said in a press release as Time Out New York reported. “It represents a national commitment to access, equity and inclusion.”
Each Museum Day ticket provides free admission for up to two people at participating locations on September 17. You can view a full list of the nation’s participating cultural institutions here. To download a ticket, view the list of participating institutions, click “get a ticket,” enter your information, and download it to your electronic device.
Here are all of the NYC museums and institutions participating:
- Alley Pond Environmental Center
- Asia Society Museum
- Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum
- Derfner Judaica Museum + The Art Collection at Hebrew Home at Riverdale
- Dyckman Farmhouse Museum
- Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum
- Museum of Jewish Heritage – A Living Memorial to the Holocaust
- Poster House
- The AKC Museum of the Dog
- The Jewish Museum
And here are participating cultural institutions in the Hudson Valley:
And on Long Island:
- Nassau County Museum of Art
- The Heckscher Museum of Art
- The Long Island Museum
- Walt Whitman Birthplace State Historic Site & Interpretive Center