Say goodbye to afternoon tea and hello to happy hour, via roboppy via photopin cc
You don’t have to tell us twice that the Upper East Side is trading its reputation as a stodgy, ladies-who-lunch spot for a younger, more hip vibe. Not only do we think it’s a hidden hot spot for artists, but we recently profiled the unofficial “new” Upper East Side, the high 80s and 90s, clustered between Park and 1st Avenues. And let’s not forget how the Second Avenue subway is already shaking things up.
But with a new generation of Upper East Siders gobbling up the surprisingly affordable real estate offerings, it’s no surprise that trendy commercial spots are also getting in on the action. Small, local shops and restaurants create little communities that you might expect to find in brownstone Brooklyn, and larger, big-name businesses like Warby Parker and Whole Foods promise to make it a neighborhood to rival Union Square or Chelsea.
More on the real estate trend ahead
Images: Daniel Maurer at Downtown Manhattan’s Mini Beach (left), 2nd Ave Subway Line Construction (right)
- Crown Heights Premium Rental is Now Listing: It’s been a 7 year wait, but the new rental building, set to begin leasing in July, has finally released the first listings and Curbed has them, along with some renderings.
- Drinking and Grocery Shopping: According to the Observer, the Whole Foods at Columbus Avenue will soon be offering liquor at its pub On Tap from noon to closing. We’ll drink to that.
- CWCapital Calls off Stuy Town Auction: CWCapital Management officially took over Stuy Town earlier this week and they’ve decided that cancelling the auction is in the best interest of certificate holders and residents of complex… for now. Crain’s NY has more on the story.
- Fitting Renovation into Your Schedule: Anyone who’s spent a Saturday watching marathons on HGTV knows that renovation can be stressful and time consuming. Apartment Therapy has a few tips on fitting a home reno in your schedule.
- 123 on the Park Begins Leasing: The new rentals, formerly the site of Flatbush’s Caledonian Hospital, has posted 11 listings so far according to the Brownstoner. Best of all, they have pics from the new listings.
- Former Hotel Site on Astoria Boulevard Sells: Flushing based LGA Hospitality just purchased the 3 parcels on Astoria Boulevard near Citi Field and the Brownstoner has the scoop.
- Just Another Day in Space: FastCo. spotlights Tim Dodd, a photographer who took a series of side-splitting photographs of himself as an astronaut doing typical daily activities.
- Godfather of Ice Cream Goes Vegan: Malcolm Stogo, inventor of Cookies ‘n Cream (THANK YOU!!), is taking on the challenge of creating a dairy-free ice cream. The Observer talks to him as he works in his Astoria factory.
- 10 of Archinect’s Top Pinterest Interiors: Who doesn’t love looking at beautiful interiors. In case you haven’t noticed, we do! So we’re spreading the love with some of Archinect’s gorgeous pinterest pics.
Images: Tim Dodd cooking (left), 123 on the Park interior (right)